Foods and Nutrition
Canning and Food Preservation – Make sure you are using the latest recommendations. Here are some researched based sites that have safe canning recommendations and recipes!
- National Center for Home Food Preservation – Recipes, web based trainings and more!http://nchfp.uga.edu/
- Ball website – Recipes, canning supplies and great information! http://www.freshpreserving.com/
- Mrs. Wages – Recipes, newsletters, supplies! http://www.mrswages.com/
Food Safety – We now more about food borne pathogens and food safety each day. Take steps to keep your families food safe!
- Stay up to date on the latest recalls with Food Safety News http://www.foodsafetynews.com/sections/food-recalls/
- Check out up to date information on food safety and find fun games for your family to play at https://www.foodsafety.gov/index.html
- Backyard chicken made hundreds of people sick in 2016. Keep your flock from making you sick https://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/2016/07/keeping-backyard-poultry.html
Fast Family Food – We can’t avoid it. We have to have food on the table for our family every day – 3 times a day. Fast food can be loaded with extra fat and sugar, not to mention eating out gets expensive. Find ways to feed you family economically and healthy. And if I am cooking its got to be fast and few ingredients. Here are a few links to get you started!
- Dinner Tonight! – An Extension Web site with great recipes and video tutorials on each. Sign up and get recipes delivered to your mail box. Or join us on Facebook at facebook.com/txdinner http://dinnertonight.tamu.edu/
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Looking for an inexpensive, health recipes? My favorite site is the What’s Cooking site. Recipes can be added to a PDF cookbook you create on the site. Check it out at http://www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/
- Eating on a Budget – This site has tools and information to help you stretch your food dollars http://www.choosemyplate.gov/budget
Child Care Providers – Each year Child Care Providers need clock hours (or CEUs) to meet state standards. We provide on site and child care conferences in Comal County. To get on our mailing list for notices of classes and activities for providers, contact our office at 830-620-3440.
Additional Childcare training and information:
- Online training with clock hours offered by our state Extension Staff https://agrilifelearn.tamu.edu/catalog?pagename=Child-Care
- eXtension offers a searchable data base of hands on activities and crafts for children written for childcare center. Love the activities and craft “recipes” http://articles.extension.org/child_care
Gardening for Health
Vegetable Gardening in Containers: click here for article